Labels

Sunday, August 11, 2013

I'm a caregiver to a parent

So this is “Sincere Saturday” more or less.  I won’t lie; it’s been a rough week, mostly because of my need for personal privacy.  I like my privacy, not because of nefarious purposes but because I’ve had others use my circumstances for other reasons. Anyway to circumvent that issue, here’s something that many people don’t know about me. I don’t tell a lot of people because I tend to be a private person and to be honest, it’s seemed to make some uncomfortable. I’m the primary caregiver to a disabled parent and have been since my early 20’s.  That’s the foremost reason that I don’t attend most conventions or parties, and that I live a relatively quiet life. It’s not an easy task, it’s a great deal of “that’s ok” reassurance and clean ups, and the most difficult part: that of the role reversal from child to parent.

I’m only saying this today because, while I do think there should be pride in being a caregiver, there absolutely shouldn’t be disdain. This week in particular, I’ve had to defend my position professionally and I think that is atrocious. In the past, I’ve endured the “lives in his parent’s basement” jokes (despite that it’s my home and that I pay the bills) and tried to make light, but sometimes it’s hard.  Hard to not take even a day off in decades, hard to shun relationships, hard that you not have to be the parent and hard that knowing despite how much you love that person, that the most fearful thing is that inevitable day when they’ve slipped away. 

There are a thousand and one issues that come with being a caregiver; it’s a lesson in compassion, humility and of honor, because no matter what, you know that you’re doing the right thing. You’re repaying a debt and fulfilling a duty; but how is this different than being a single parent?
\
From here on out, I’m very sorry if I do make you uncomfortable in my role as a caregiver, but I do take pride and I will no longer be quiet. Caregivers shouldn’t be ridiculed, but rather respected for what they do.  When you’re old.. when you no longer can care for yourself, what will you think of caregivers?


Thank you for taking the time to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment